Monday, July 14, 2008

You're Never too Old

Kathy and I with all of the grandkids...two more on the way!


Dear Bob,

As an older father (50) of two young boys (9 & 7), I am constantly seeking advice and pointers. Any suggestions on staying 'young' for my kids?


Respectfully,

Steve


Dear Steve -

As a 56-year-old father of two 14-year-olds and a grandfather to seven kids under 7, my advice to you would be to stay healthy and fight to be engaged in what interests your kids as they grow. In my forties, I went to heavy metal concerts with my then 16-year-old. Last month i attended a Jimmy Eat World concert with them as well.

When my 14-year-old daughter had soccer practice last Monday, I walked and ran for 45 minutes to keep me fit, rather than simply sitting on the sidelines and watching. Last Sunday I I spent an enjoyable two hours with my teens at the "Grossology" exhibit at the Arizona Science Center, learning about where "snot and farts and poo" come from (the museum's preferred terminology, not my own). Bending over to smell different body odors made my kids laught at me.

I have found that having kids at my age has given me permission to slow down and enjoy them sometimes more than when my older kids were growing up. I manage my time better and can spend it with them. They certainly help to keep my wife and I young.

Good luck,
Bob

No comments: